Home > Co-Ownership > What Are My Responsibilities Under Shared Ownership

What Are My Responsibilities Under Shared Ownership

By: Emma Eilbeck BA (hons) - Updated: 29 Jan 2024 | comments*Discuss
Property Shared Ownership

You may own half or a large share of a property under shared ownership, but you will still have responsibilities when it comes to the maintenance of the property.

Shared ownership is not like renting in the sense that the housing association will not be responsible for things that go wrong with the property, but neither will you be left to your own devices.

What Your Responsibilities Will Be

You will not be expected to cover the cost of all of the repairs and refurbishments to the property that need doing. The housing association which owns part of the property will be responsible for maintaining the structure of the house. If for example the roof on your property needs repairing, this will be down to the housing association. If however you need a wall plastered inside your home, this will be down to you. You could look at it as you are responsible for the inside of the property and them the outside.

Some housing associations will charge a yearly service charge to cover the cost of any repairs that they might need to carry out, this will normally be broken down into monthly payments.

Your responsibilities will be similar to those if you were renting a property, but you will also have some flexibility in terms of what you can do to the property. It will be your responsibility to pay the rent, make sure the building is insured, keep the property in good repair, to seek permission before you alter the structure of the property and to allow the association reasonable access to the property if they give you adequate notice. It will also be expected that you do not undertake in any anti-social behaviour while in the property and that you will give the association notice if you intend to sell your share in the house.

When you sign the contract for the property it will say what your role and responsibilities are when living in your home. It is important that you read the small print carefully and if there is anything you are not happy with you query it before signing the contract.

The Responsibilities of the Housing Association

You will not be the only one that holds responsibilities when it comes to your shared ownership property. The housing association will also need to play their part and stick to their end of the deal. It may in practice seem like you have a landlord when you buy with a housing association but this is not the case. They will need to leave you in peace and allow you to live in the property independently.

They will not be allowed to show up unexpectedly and expect to gain access to your home. They like you will need to give advance warning if they wish to visit the property. They will also need to alert you if they wish to sell their share in the property for any reason. You contract will also list what your local housing association’s responsibilities will be and what elements of the property they are responsible for.

If You Want To Make Improvements

You will be responsible for the quality of any improvements you want to carry out on the property. If you wish to carry out any work to the property or any improvements you will need written permission from the housing association to do so. Unless your requests are unreasonable they should be willing to let you carry out the work, especially if it will improve the condition of the property, as this will increase its value.

You may stumble into trouble though if you wish to extend the property as this could cause a dispute as to who owns what and how this changes the value of the property.

When buying into a shared ownership property you may feel like you are still bound by the restrictions of renting because you only own half of the property and to some extent are answerable to the housing association. In practice though a housing association will not interfere in the day to day running of your home and it will feel like your own.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Own a quarter of a joint ownership house. All the windows are rotten and the door cannot afford to replace them it's so cold and drafty who is responsible. And I don't want the property not fit to live in what can I do
Vindaloo - 29-Jan-24 @ 1:16 PM
I live in shared ownership flat, my front door isnt locking , I take it this comes under buildings which would be housing association am I correct. As front door is not covered in my contents
Jules - 2-Oct-23 @ 11:11 PM
I have a shared ownership house which is 7years old , it was 18 months old when we moved in buying a 50% share. We have since had a leaking roof and in our contract it stateswe are responsible for repairs, however,it turned out that we had to have the complete roofre- felted and the solar panels removed and re-tiled at a cost to us of £11,500 . The roofer that repaired it said he had never seen such bad workmanship and the builders had done a shoddy job. Do we have any chance of getting some form of recompense? It doesn't seem fair that people in affordable housing ,who are paying rent ,have to put up with this.
Kev - 7-Jul-23 @ 7:26 PM
Hi buying shared ownership when viewed flat toilet smashed needs new one carpets torn and ruined is it up to me to replace these many thanks debbie
Betsy - 16-Oct-22 @ 7:11 PM
DO NOT BUY A SHARED OWNERSHIP! We owned a first floor flat for nearly 8 years. Over £100 service charge a month (block of 4-us and a block of 6) The communal areas were poorly kept and our kitchen STANK and was yellowing from downstairs cigarette smoke. When we investigated there were gaps in the walls behind the kitchen cupboards. They would do absolutely nothing (not even buy it from us when we wanted to move to a house with them) We could only afford a shared ownership in our area, 2 weeks after moving in, all the garden fencing fell down from the storm (completely rotten), and they won't help towards the cost at all! Even though they own 50%. The rent cost is crazy and is more expensive than a 100% mortgage, but because we didn't have enough deposit, we were stuck. The deeds don't even say who the fence belongs to (us or neighbour). We are saving as hard as we can now to move out again in a few years.
Niffler94 - 6-Apr-22 @ 2:33 PM
I have a shared ownership flat they want to replace the windows at a cost of £28000 we have £21,000 in the sinking fund can all of this be used to cover most of the cost. As I understood they are responsible for the structure of the building and tenants responsible for the internal decoration electrics etc
D bs - 23-Mar-22 @ 11:16 AM
Not moved in yet to a shared ownership property on the first viewing last week I was stunned at the awful shoddy workmanship (galliford try) the kitchen units are all scratched and damaged does the HA have to put this right before exchange
Nic - 11-Mar-22 @ 4:06 PM
We got a shered ownership houses we payed 25 per sent of ower shere the window doors are in disrepair who responsible for repairs of window doors as the house isshered ownership and thay own 75per sentthe house need new windows door we live in it 2 year October
Maz - 6-Aug-21 @ 9:37 PM
Don't bother! DO NOT DESTROY YOUR FUTURE WITH PART RENT!!!!!! My flat not only suffers from cladding defects but the fire safety requirements already in force were not completed and yet the building was signed off as safe. Now I cannot sell and am being told that remedial works for the cladding alone will cost £5.8m (SOME of which MAY be covered by the governement if we are very very lucky!). This does not include the cost of fixing missing/defective fire safety requirements or any other costs (e.g surveys, waking watch, new fire alarm system)! The housing association are refusing to accept their share of the cost leaving me to pay 100% of (over £48,000 and rising daily) on a 25% share of a flat worth just £55,000. The "not-for profit" housing association is extremely happy to profit from leaseholders paying 100% of costs despite the housing association having a clear stake in the property. Works haven't even begun and the value of my share has almost been entirely wiped out. I'm currently looking at how to relinquish all rights and claim to the flat as there is no way I can afford the required works and cannot sell so my only option is to literally throw it away. It's either that or end up homeless!
Cladding victim - 20-Apr-21 @ 3:41 PM
When I moved into my part-ownership property 10 years ago, whilst the building was still in snagging I pointed out to the Housing association that the drainage from the roof and balconies was inadequate, they sent the builder round and he told them everything was fine, it was just a bad design.I disputed this but wasn't listened to, finally they have acknowledged that the lack of adequate drainage is damaging the fabric of the building and are finally correcting this, at the expense of the residents.Is there not a degree of responsibility residing with the housing association? I am told that I am responsible for the interior and the housing association for the outside and communal areas as it is a block of flats.They are claiming that these modifications to the building are repairs.Is this correct?
lolly - 15-Apr-21 @ 9:41 AM
I have a leak in my roof (House is 5 years old) and my housing association says I have to claim through their buildings insurer but your article above states they are responsible...what should I do?
Kell - 21-Oct-20 @ 2:07 PM
Iam living in a first floor shared equity flatand pay a Service charge which includes Buildings Insurance. If I cause a water leak ( eg from an aquarium) which causes damage to the flat below would I be liable for the repairs, or would it be covered by the Buiding insurance for rthe whole property
JIM - 21-Oct-20 @ 10:01 AM
Hi, i live in a shared ownership property and I would like to have a patio done and also change the kitchen cupboards doors and drawers front as well as the worktop. Do I have to ask permission from the housing association?
Mana - 17-Oct-20 @ 3:30 PM
I live in a shared ownership property. There is a drive through under my lounge to the carpark. Someone pointed out to me some damage to the cladding at the entrance, where a car has obviously driven through breaking the height restrictions. Who would be liable for this repair?
Summer-66 - 27-Jul-20 @ 4:48 PM
I have a drive through under my lounge with restricted height for vehicles going through to the car park. Someone pointed out to me some damage to the cladding at the entrance, where a vehicle too high as obviously driven through. There isn't any structural damage from what I can see. I am in a shared ownership property. Who would be liable to repair this?
Summer-66 - 27-Jul-20 @ 4:46 PM
I bought a part rent part buy property in Kent, am I allowed to changed the locks on my front door
Ames - 9-Jul-20 @ 7:40 AM
I’ve lived in my shared ownership property from new. It is now 5 years old. I have and issue with the seals on the window in my back door and been told this is not covered on the buildings insurance as wear and tear. However I thought new homes and certainly new windows and doors had a 10 year guarantee under FENSA? I’m being told this is not extended to shared ownership. That seems unfair. Can anyone advise?
Rain - 11-Feb-20 @ 10:37 AM
I had burglary in my flat which is road side ground floor . The main door lock has broke and i have asked the housing association to repair my door and they are saying its your responsibility to repair the door.i have only content insurance and also i could't find out the locks as locksmith guys saying that its not available to buy for general public. Can anyone tell me what to do how i can repair the locks of the front door.
bhavin - 2-Dec-19 @ 11:58 AM
I'm buying shared ownership house, the searches have just come back and house is in high risk flood area & isn't connected to water mains. Shouldn't either estate agent or housing association made me aware of this before I've paid out for searches & mortgage arrangement fees. Thank you for any advise
Casey - 18-Sep-19 @ 10:00 PM
I have 30% share in a ground floor flat. Someone throw a stone and has cracked my living room window on the outside pane. The housing association is say I need to pay for first and the I can claim on there insurance. Is this right as I would have thought it’s under building insurance and they fix through that without me having to pay for it.
Gaz - 5-Sep-19 @ 6:34 PM
I own 25% share in a flat of 9. We have just endured crimal damage to the proprty, 6 windows and patio door had bricks thrown leaving them broken. Wo would be responsible for the cost of replacing them.
STG - 24-Aug-19 @ 6:35 AM
Chimney needs repointing and repairs as it has no cap causing it to let in rain and has caused a damp patch on the wall who is responsible have a half own half rent property. Or will the house insurance cover it
Boss - 14-Jul-19 @ 8:22 AM
Hi, I bought a flat’s 50% share 4 years ago. Now I would like to exchange for house, wonder what are the chances or should I have to sell? Thank you
Vicky - 16-Jun-19 @ 5:40 PM
We have 60% in a new build.There are 13 houses on our estate, we pay a management fee. There have been issues with the management company, poor response times to repairs, we think using our funds for some repairs that should have been covered by building insurance, despite several requests 4 years on we still have not had accounts or a budget. What rights do we have in 1) insisting on accounts being available to us for inspection and 2) getting rid of this company and forming our own management company?
Pam - 8-Apr-19 @ 9:00 AM
Heating in my flat is broken is a shared ownership flat who is responsible for fixing this or replacing
Zac - 26-Mar-19 @ 7:12 PM
Hi there . I have 45% ownership in shared ownership housing association block of ten flats . We appartantly need to have a new lift . Who is responsible for this payment . Also do 1/4 share owners pay the same share of the cost as 3/4 share owners . How much does the housing association pay . Many thanks
Goldie - 18-Mar-19 @ 10:42 AM
I have bought a freehold terraced property, one of three linked properties, on the same private plot of land. The properties share a common driveway and services, eg., sewage treatment plant, the energy supply to it, and its maintenance. Is it necessary to form a limited company to manage the payment for the 'joint' services. If not what is the alternative to manage payments etc, without having to engage accountant etc, as would be the case with a limited company.
The InfamousX - 15-Mar-19 @ 12:18 PM
Hi I have a shared ownership end terraced house. My neighbour who is also shared owner, has planted 6 ft trees on my boundary line to the front of the house at their front door.Is this allowed? I’m concerned about the roots going under my house. Would this have an impact on my foundations since it’s a new build? Should my HA be involved?
Catsanddogs25 - 3-Feb-19 @ 6:37 PM
New build 3 years old plaster blown on exterior wallconcurring damp on neighbours house can you please advice housing association saying not there problem can any one advice many thanks,
Yaya - 4-Dec-18 @ 9:16 PM
Hi I have 50%with most and have outside walls that have cracks in them also my garden and outer perimeter wall is falling away who’s responsible for theses repairs ?
Tan - 27-Sep-18 @ 2:41 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word: