Home > HomeBuy Schemes > The Open Market Home Buy Scheme

The Open Market Home Buy Scheme

By: Christine Whitfield BA (hons) - Updated: 30 Apr 2019 | comments*Discuss
Open Market Homebuy Homeowners Potential

The HomeBuy initiative was developed in an attempt to help a potential home owner get on the property ladder even if they could not afford to buy their own property.

With the HomeBuy schemes the buyers purchase a share of the property rather than the whole house. The Open Market HomeBuy scheme comprises of three products - one product is in conjunction with the Government, one product is in conjunction with the Government and one of three private lenders and the third product in conjunction with the Government and Yorkshire Building Society.

What is the Product in Partnership with the Government Alone?

The product in partnership with the Government gives potential buyers the chance to borrow up to 17.5% of the purchase price. This is in addition to the mortgage they will take out. With house prices so extortionate at present often the average mortgage lender will not be able to offer a loan large enough to buy a house. With the additional equity loan from the government the size of the mortgage needed decreases and therefore the borrower is more likely to find a lender willing to lend the suitable size mortgage.

What is the Product in Partnership with Private Lenders?

There are three private lenders which participate in the HomeBuy scheme. They are Halifax Intermediaries, Nationwide and Advantage. With the product in partnership with one of these private lenders the lender would provide an equity loan of 12.5% of the purchase price while the Government will provide an additional 12.5%. This means the potential home buyer only has to come up with 75% of the purchase price. It is much easier to borrow a mortgage at 75% loan to value than it is 100%.

What is the Product in Partnership with Yorkshire Building Society?

The product in partnership with Yorkshire Building Society offers the largest loan. Yorkshire Building Society will offer a 15% equity loan while the Government will offer an additional 17.5% equity loan. The means the borrower will only need to get a mortgage for the remaining 67.5% of the property value.

There is no charge on any of the products except the Yorkshire Building Society Loan which includes a charge of 3% after the first five years.

If your property increases in value once it is sold the loan providers i.e. the Government and Yorkshire Building Society or Advantage/Halifax Intermediaries/Nationwide, will be entitled to a share of the increase.

Who can Apply for Open Market HomeBuy?

Open Market HomeBuy is not available to everyone. If you are a council or housing association tenant, a key work (i.e. you work in the public sector), are on a waiting list for social housing or you are classed as a 'priority' first-time buyer by the Government then should be eligible.

How do I apply for Open Market HomeBuy?

If you are eligible to apply and would like to consider Open Market HomeBuy then you will need to speak with your local HomeBuy agent. You can find your agent by visiting the Government website.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
At risk of being homeless fed off keep moving myself and my daughter have been unwell due to the stress this has been going on a year by my landlord who keeps texting saying i need to vacate as sold then he texts a few days later saying it’s ok then he texts again saying we have to go again its a nightmare I work for the nhs have done for years just want a end to this nightmare thanks
Lisa - 30-Apr-19 @ 9:05 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • ste
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    right to acquire exempt from right to acquire rural area yet the have sold house to next door less then 2yrs agar
    6 December 2019
  • Shaz
    Re: Are You Classed as a Key Worker?
    I am a key worker in milton keynes, where can i find key workers properties and how can i apply for them?
    3 December 2019
  • bhavin
    Re: What Are My Responsibilities Under Shared Ownership
    I had burglary in my flat which is road side ground floor . The main door lock has broke and i have…
    2 December 2019
  • gilly
    Re: Selling Your Shared Ownership Property
    Hi I just read your article and I have shared ownership with Fortis Living and your article says that the Housing…
    28 November 2019
  • Kezza
    Re: Buying Your Council House
    Hi Im just after some advice me and my partner and our 3 kids live with my partners mum in her council house who has just been offered…
    8 November 2019
  • Keith
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    After being told for 3 years that I can apply for a right to acquire, I'm now being told I can't, on the designated rural area in…
    7 November 2019
  • Lnm_86
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    I have been a housing association tenant for 11 years, 9 of these were with one association and 2 years with another (Still with…
    5 November 2019
  • Tim
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    Hi there, Thank you for giving us a chance to ask questions with regards to affordable housing. I want to buy a house with the…
    1 November 2019
  • Sunjam
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    I have lived in this property for almost 11yrs now. I have notified my landlord of my interest to buy the property under Preserved…
    31 October 2019
  • Bash.
    Re: Housing Association Properties
    I am currently living with my parents in a Te'o bed ground floor disable flat with my 3yr old daughter and my Nephew. My 23yr…
    28 October 2019