Home > HomeBuy Schemes > What is a Home Information Pack?

What is a Home Information Pack?

By: Jack Claridge - Updated: 16 Sep 2012 | comments*Discuss
Affordable Home Advice Affordable Home

Since December 2007 it is law for all houses that are put up for sale, regardless of size, to have what is known as a Home Information Pack (HIP). Here we look at Home Information Packs (HIPs) and why they are important to the process of buying and selling a house.

What is a Home Information Pack?

A Home Information Pack (HIP) is a pack containing all relevant information on your home if you are selling it. The law now states that you must have such a pack before you can enter into the sale of your property and that no property can be sold without one. Each Home Information Pack produced contains information on the size of the property, a sale statement, evidence of title (i.e.: who owns the property currently) and all relevant searches such as those carried out by the Land Registry.

The Home Information Pack (HIP) also contains what is known as an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which gives information and advice on how best to reduce CO2 output and subsequent fuel costs. It can also be referred to as a Home Condition Report (HCR).

Sale Statement

Contained within your Home Information Pack (HIP) is what is known as a Sale Statement; this document contains information on the individual who is selling the property. Such information will include the seller's name as well as the address of the property being sold. You will also find details of whether the property is freehold or leasehold and evidence of title (whether or not it is registered or unregistered).

It is important to note at this stage that any Home Information Pack (HIP) without this sale statement is incomplete and cannot be used for the purposes of selling a property.

Energy Performance Certificate

Again no Home Information Pack (HIP) is complete without this document. As we have already mentioned the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives details to any prospective buyer as to how energy efficient the property is and also details how much carbon dioxide is being emitted.

Each property is graded from A to G, with A being the lowest and best in terms of running costs and carbon dioxide emissions.

Home Condition Report

As the name might suggest this report contained within the Home Information Pack (HIP) is designed to give up to date information on the condition of the property at the time the Home Inspector carried out his or her checks. This report gives an indication as to whether or not there is a lot of work to be carried out, whether the property suffers from damp etc, and whether or not it is habitable upon completion of a sale.

The Property Register

This part of the Home Information Pack (HIP) is designed to give information on the property in terms of ownership and also if it is freehold or leasehold. The Property Register will give an indication as to how long - in years - there is left on a lease and also gives details of the boundaries surrounding the property.

Again it is worth noting that if any of the aforementioned is missing from the Home Information Pack (HIP) then it is not complete and therefore the sale of the property may be delayed whilst a new Home Information Pack (HIP) is produced.

Who Pays for a Home Information Pack?

The cost of a Home Information Pack (HIP) is incurred by the individual selling the property. In other words the owner of the property must foot the bill for a Home Information Packs (HIPs) produced during the sale period. He or she may also be liable for any additional searches that are required to complete a Home Information Pack (HIP).

For further information on Home Information Packs (HIPs) and how to go about having one drawn up you should contact your local estate agent - or agent in charge of the sale of your property - and a solicitor, who will be able to give you help and advice on how to best go about producing a Home Information Pack.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Kezza
    Re: Buying Your Council House
    Hi Im just after some advice me and my partner and our 3 kids live with my partners mum in her council house who has just been offered…
    8 November 2019
  • Keith
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    After being told for 3 years that I can apply for a right to acquire, I'm now being told I can't, on the designated rural area in…
    7 November 2019
  • Lnm_86
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    I have been a housing association tenant for 11 years, 9 of these were with one association and 2 years with another (Still with…
    5 November 2019
  • Tim
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    Hi there, Thank you for giving us a chance to ask questions with regards to affordable housing. I want to buy a house with the…
    1 November 2019
  • Sunjam
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    I have lived in this property for almost 11yrs now. I have notified my landlord of my interest to buy the property under Preserved…
    31 October 2019
  • Bash.
    Re: Housing Association Properties
    I am currently living with my parents in a Te'o bed ground floor disable flat with my 3yr old daughter and my Nephew. My 23yr…
    28 October 2019
  • Kel
    Re: Are You Classed as a Key Worker?
    I am a passenger assist driver for children am I considered a key worker and how do I find out ??
    17 October 2019
  • Bex23
    Re: Low Income Housing
    Hi. I'm currently in emergency housing and I've been told that I'm costing Barnet council too much money. I have a 1 year old son. I've been…
    8 October 2019
  • Vgtha
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    Hi my house new2010 l living 9years I am Right to Acquire scheme how much discount totally please telling
    6 October 2019
  • Sausage
    Re: Questionnaire: Am I Eligible for Housing Benefit?
    Can l get help with my rent as l am a student
    6 October 2019