Home > Ask Our Experts > How Do You Apply for the Government Schemes?

How Do You Apply for the Government Schemes?

By: Emma Eilbeck BA (hons) - Updated: 19 Aug 2016 | comments*Discuss
Homebuy Agent Property Mortgage


How do you apply for the schemes mentioned on this site, such as the government first time buyers initiative etc? I am a qualified mortgage advisor and have clients who would like to consider these schemes but I can't see any instructions on how to apply, what the application procedure is or where and how to send in applications.

(L.S, 19 March 2009)


The first thing your client needs to do is go and visit their local HomeBuy agent. You will be able to find out who their local agent is by visiting homesandcommunities.co.uk.

Finding an Agent

The HomeBuy agent will be able to determine whether they are eligible for one of the government schemes. The HomeBuy agent will carry out an affordability check on them but will not advise them on a mortgage. A word of caution though, a lot of HomeBuy agents will have their own broker panels.

They may not advertise these but it could be that when your client goes to visit them they will try and get them to use one of their advisers, so make sure your client knows to come back to you.

The schemes can be quite complicated and new ones are launched every so often, so it is worth checking with the homeandcommunities website to see what is available.

It is probably advisable not to start processing any mortgage applications until it is determined whether your client is actually eligible for one of the schemes. You don’t want to carry out a lot of work and then find out your client is not eligible.

Where to Apply

Once they have discovered whether they are eligible you will then need to contact the lender. A lot of the mainstream lenders offer shared ownership and shared equity schemes such as HomeBuy and HomeBuy Direct. You should contact them directly to see what mortgage products they offer.

You do not generally need to contact the government or developer directly. Your local HomeBuy Agent should be able to direct you as to whether there are any schemes set aside in your local area. If not , your client will be able to tailor the scheme to any property they find and they can get a mortgage on that property.

Certain lenders are starting to become a lot more cautious about the schemes and in the past they would have offered to lend the client up to 50% of the property’s value, but a lot of them are now asking for deposits as well as the government share.But with more homeowners struggling to get on the property ladder, shared ownership and equity schemes are becoming a lot more popular.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Hi there I'm disabled and I have been living in my council home since 2002. I recive benifits as I can't work. Is there any way I could buy my council home and be more secure? Many thanks
Hopeful disabled - 19-Aug-16 @ 4:54 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • TINA
    Re: Finding an Affordable Mortgage When Disabled
    I high pip and esa As well and I loved to get a mortgage for me x family so I am going to look in to it
    16 May 2019
  • Sophie
    Re: Are You Classed as a Key Worker?
    I work for a private neurological holy cross hospital in Surrey as a healthcare assistant. Would I qualify as a key worker ?
    11 May 2019
  • The finder
    Re: Are You Classed as a Key Worker?
    I am assisting a Home Office worker (Immigration department in Croydon Lunar House), find accommodation. Would she be…
    8 May 2019
  • JOHN
    Re: Buying Your Council House
    3 May 2019
  • Katie
    Re: Are You Classed as a Key Worker?
    Are carers working for an agency eligible to apply? Thx!
    1 May 2019
  • Lisa
    Re: The Open Market Home Buy Scheme
    At risk of being homeless fed off keep moving myself and my daughter have been unwell due to the stress this has been going on…
    30 April 2019
  • Nic
    Re: The Right to Acquire Scheme
    We was told 2 years ago we had the right to acquire with paper work from our HA 2 years later all checks was done and we don't have…
    25 April 2019
  • Ellie
    Re: Buying Your Council House
    When Margaret Thatcher set out her Right To Buy Policy and many tenants realised they could make a quick buck, no one could fore see…
    18 April 2019
  • Lisa
    Re: Buying Your Council House
    Me and my husband want to buy our council house but hes not on the tenancy?...can we still buy as hes the main earner as joint…
    13 April 2019
  • Saeideh
    Re: Low Income Housing
    Hi, I and my husband have 2 children and we live in a share tenant 3 beds house. we live in the same room with our kids and I am pregnant…
    10 April 2019